Sunday, June 30, 2013

Exploring with QR Codes

I mentioned in my last post how I attended a workshop at my local college about using iPads in the classroom.  It was very informative and educational.  One of the workshops I chose to attend was about QR codes.

We've seen those codes that are square with weird boxes and shapes in them. When we scan them with a QR reader, we end up being taken to a web page, blog, video, or whatever it may lead to that either entertains us or provides us with more information.  

Well, the presenter for this workshop shared how she uses QR codes to link to youtube videos that provide explanation for her students in a variety of activities.  Basically, she uses it for student-centered learning.  Any given student may be assigned a QR code that will lead to a video that gives her instructions for a specific activity that helps her practice certain math skills.  Or perhaps it's for a student to listen to a story being read to her and follow along in her book.  She may also use QR codes on center (or station) activities that allows her to give specific instructions on the activity, and even demonstrate what her expectations are.

On the flip side, her students use QR codes to share with their families the work they did in class, or to demonstrate a newly gained skill, in reading or math.  Mind you this is with a 1st grade class.  She taught them the procedure for creating their own video, and from there she helps them create a QR code and it is then emailed to their parents.  

Perhaps a student has worked really hard on her reading fluency, and now wants to show her parents how well she can read the book she's been practicing on.  She can record herself reading so her parents can see (or hear) her read.

There's so much potential in the classroom with QR codes, and I'm excited with what I can do with it! 

Here's what I worked on this morning.  As for copyright laws, I was told that if my reading isn't an exact replica of the book (if I messed up the words somehow, which I did unintentionally), then I'm not breaking any laws.  Personally, I'm not listing the link so it can be searched, and I'm not profiting from it, so I don't see the harm.  If anyone knows differently, PLEASE let me know. 

 
Sorry about the huge size.  The app I'm using to do this doesn't allow me to adjust the size of images. If you have a QR reader app on your phone or tablet, you'll be able to access the link of me reading the book The Trash Detectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment