Friday, September 6, 2013

#TEACH

I just finished watching TEACH on CBS tonight, and I have a mixture of emotions.  I felt proud to be one teacher in that profession.  I felt honored to have the profession I love celebrated this way.  I felt concern that there are people who don't feel the same way about teaching who would say, "Whoop-de-do!  My job is important too," and "Now teachers will walk around thinking they're something so special." I also felt grief watching the teachers and students on the show say their goodbyes at the end of the school year.  Although I look forward to a break and warmer weather, I don't look forward to parting ways with my students.
I also felt worried that perhaps I'm not a great, or even good teacher because I didn't seem as outwardly stressed about the test scores as the teachers profiled on the show had.  Or am I?  Perhaps I don't show emotion or wring my hands while they're taking tests or as I'm getting the first glance of their scores, but that doesn't mean my mind isn't going at full throttle.  That doesn't mean that I don't seek advice from other teachers, no matter whether or not they have more years in the classroom than I do, on how to deal with a child's struggles, whether academically or behaviorally.  That doesn't mean I'm not scouring the Internet looking for ideas to get their attention, to motivate them, to engage them, and keep them that way.

I've been teaching, as a classroom teacher, an ESL teacher, and a Resource Room educational technician, and as a substitute, for 11 years, this year being my 8th year in my own classroom.  During much of that time I've been a student as well.  Even now as I'm finished my Master's Degree, I feel I'm still a student, learning a new math and spelling program, for example.  But I'm also learning about different classroom strategies that will help make a difference in my student's learning.  Searching for ways to turn my classroom around to be a more student-lead environment, and for ways to reach all of my students, and the whole student.

I guess after having watching the 2-hour special (which I've also recorded in case there was something I wanted to get a closer look at), it's helped me to reflect on my own teaching, how I think about teaching, my past attempts at making my teaching better, and especially how to reach individuals rather than a group.  This leads me to ask...

1- What more can I do?
2- What am I doing right?
3- What am I doing wrong?
4- Am I forgetting anyone?
5- Do I make all of my students feel valued?
6- Do I make an effort to make sure ALL students are reached, and to take their individuality into consideration?

Perhaps I'm being too hard on myself, or not.  Perhaps I'm just trying to sort everything out, or perhaps it's just a Friday night that was so filled with emotions for me, and a wonderful program that made me think.

No comments:

Post a Comment