Monday, June 29, 2015

One year done!

So, the last time I wrote I was at the beginning of my first year teaching high school social studies.  I won't lie.  It was a really challenging year.  Only by the time we made it to Christmas Break did I begin feeling like I fit.

Not only did I have to prepare preps for 5 courses, plus an independent class for a student who's schedule didn't merge with the rest of her class, but I also had to prepare for the Praxis II test for secondary level social studies.  I spent the whole summer preparing for that test, then failed it on the first try.  By 4 points.  I didn't focus enough on the economics portion of the test.  Needless-to-say, when I retook it a month later, I passed it by 4 points.  It was wonderful to put that test behind me.

My adjustment was also a combination of thinking like a social studies teacher, getting used to high school students, and getting to know the kids and making connections to who their parents are, where they live, and so forth.  


Some teachers might not think it's necessary to know who parents are and where kids live.  But in my small community, with a combined population (between 3 small communities) of about 2,000, I could be living right next door to a student's family member and not even realize it. 

To give you an idea, to my left, 2 houses down is where one student lives, I see the back yard of brothers who I teach, seven houses to my left are the grandparents of two other brothers who I teach.  I pass the homes of 4 students within the 2 miles ride to school each day.  And even though my husband works out of town, he has worked with 3 of my students' parent or stepparent.   Not only is my community small, but so is the valley we live in.

As this year has been a challenge, it has also been rewarding.  I learned a lot about history, geography, teenagers, and teaching in a small community.  By February Break, I realized that I was finally thinking like a social studies teacher. 



The best thing about this year, however, was during the last few weeks of school.  I was standing in the teacher's room when it occurred to me that I was going to be back here next year.  This was the first time in several years that I was able to say that.  It felt good.

So now, my focus this summer is on reviewing what I covered this year, and reorganizing, restructuring, and coming up with new ideas.  Field trip possibilities, and who could come in to speak with my students.  Below are some of the veterans who either came to speak to or Skyped with my students.  





The last week of school, I asked a couple of the National Guard (they've been working on our Field of Dreams for the past few summers) if they could show my students how to fold the American flag, and what the folds represent.

It may not have been a perfect school year, but it was a great beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment